Thursday, January 1, 2009

An Experiement to Not Be Repeated

I have several hypotheses on why Alex is not sleeping at night. He wakes up frequently, no matter what my techniques with Kairi were they will not work with Alex. He decides about 5:00am that it's time to get up for the day. I've tried everything you can think of. Once upon a time we coslept, and I'd be willing to go back to it, if it would get him to sleep, but he refuses. (We stopped co-sleeping when he began to be rambunctious in bed ... besides, I didn't think Chris would be too thrilled about coming home to his wife after not seeing her for 7+ months and having to share our bed with Alex.) For a long time I excused the poor sleeping habits because I knew his ears hurt. But Monday his ears were completely clear, and that's when this started to get bad.

So here are my hypotheses:
1) He needs a later bedtime as he's not completely worn out when going to bed. It keeps him from sleeping well at night. If nothing else, it makes him wake up earlier than I can deal with, even if it doesn't explain the multiple wakings at night.

2) Being able to hear again means that he's not used to all the night time sounds and that when he's had a decent amount of sleep that he just can't continue to sleep with the strange sounds all around him. It would explain the frequent night wakings, and why when his ears are clogged he sleeps later.

3) He is ready to switch from two naps to one. He's getting too much sleep to sleep well at night. (Dear God, please let it NOT be this one.)



Out of those options, I chose to test the first one today. I let the kids stay up until I just couldn't take it any more. Also known as 8pm. Now, if I had tried this on a night that Chris was home, I might have been able to hold out for another hour or so. My theory is if it's truly his bedtime that's an issue, that tomorrow he'll sleep later. If I'm right, his bedtime gets moved later -- NOT Kairi's. NO. That will not happen again. She still sleeps at night just fine with her early bedtime. Tonight I was hit, kicked, jumped on top of, had things thrown at my head, and had my ears pierced w/ shrieks. Yes, we had lots of fun together, but my body aches. And by the end she was sooo grumpy that neither of us were happy with the situation.

1 comment:

  1. Oh my... We do bedtime at 8 here now too. It works for us. I started it out much later though lol. I'm not a morning person by any stretch of the imagination and putting Kalila to bed at 11 when she first started sleeping longer stretches worked best for us. Gradually we went back. If I try any earlier than 8 all yeah breaks loose though.

    I hope you figure out what it is and that it's not the naps lol. Loosing naps stinks.

    ReplyDelete