Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Menu!

If you'll scroll to the bottom of this page you'll see a calendar. That's my menu! You see, if I don't make a menu plan at the beginning of each pay day, then I spend at least an extra $100 on groceries and $150 on take out -- I don't have that kind of money to spare! So several friends and I started menu planning together in an effort to save money and provide our family with wholesome meals. When I do it, it's awesome. When I don't, I immediately remember why I should. :)

I wanted to give you a tour of the calendar real fast.

First of all, every meal can be clicked on for more details. Those details might include the rest of the name, just in case it was longer than the box. It might include a recipe link for it. Or it might just be what I serve with it. So click each meal for more details.

Second, you may notice that most meals are followed by (CP). That's to remind me that it's a crock pot meal. Because of the fibro, I'm ALWAYS tired -- especially by evening. I don't want to cook then. I am usually excited to cook in the morning, though. So I prepare my food in the AM, throw it in the cp, and call it good. It makes my evenings go sooo much smoother. I have 2 crocks, so if you notice that I have two cp recipes up, it's not because I was brain dead. I really can cook 2 cp meals at a time. Or the timing just works out where I can prepare one after I've finished the 2nd meal.

As noted right above the calendar, I don't usually post breakfast and lunch. That's because they're fairly predictable. The kids want either pigs in a blanket (made w/ beef sausage) or Nutrigrain bars for breakfast. And since that's easy and fast, I'm ok with it. I might make eggs for breakfast as I always have them on hand, but the chances of them eating eggs are slim to none, so I usually stick w/ the other. Lunch is leftovers. If I don't make myself eat them for lunch, then my fridge fills up and food gets wasted. I try to keep everything on hand in order to eat a turkey melt for lunch (bread, turkey, cheese, and tomato) in case supper wasn't good or there weren't leftovers ... but those are few and far between.

What happens when I don't want to do what's on the plan for that day? Either I move things around, OR I have a few frozen meals (like Voila's Garlic Chicken) that I can throw on. I'm in the process of trying to make some more of these on my own so that I can just freeze them for future use and not waste the money, but in the meantime I'll buy the prepackaged stuff.


One last thing ... if there's a recipe up that doesn't have any extra info, that's because it's one that I have in my head and never think about needing a recipe. Just comment or email to get more details (like what in the world IS that? ;) ).


~~~~~~~~~
I'll do the book post soon...I promise! But I'm having to make the list from scratch. Yikes!

8 comments:

  1. "Events from one or more calendars could not be shown here because you do not have permission." *sniff*

    I was really looking forward to having something to get me started. Ack!!! If you can figure it out, I would love to take a look. I'm horrible at planning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the calendar thing!

    Btw we do a similar frozen chicken thing. HEB has herb roasted drumsticks that are soooo good. We keep them around for random times we don't feel like cooking or when I slip up like last week lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh! Yay!!! I can see it now!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad it's fixed now! :)

    Kris ~ I miss HEB. :( But I really should check and see if Publix has the Voila type stuff in a generic brand. That may sway me from making my own. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks great Steph! I still have a few days to go before I make mine, but I'm sure I'll "steal" a few things from you :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Everything sounds good Steph!!! I was just talking about how I would like to do this, I spend way too much on groceries and going to the store so many times! This might inspire me to do one!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have to ask (because I'm still tweaking mine) is the calendar easy/hard to work with?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nikki ~ But of course you'll steal from it! lol I always do from you. ;)

    Jess ~ I so didn't recognize your new name! Totally threw me off. LOL

    Kris ~ I love the calendar. Absolutely love it. It's eay to grab and drag a meal to another day or another time. Google really did make it simple. But Chris and I use Google's calendar for EVERYTHING. From keeping his work days and underway times and duty days straight, to setting up appt reminds and recording church events. I even put in what the kids and I are doing during the day if we're going out so that if Chris comes home early he can look up where we're at and meet us there if he wants. You can set up the main calendar page so that you can click different kinds of calendars on and off so that it doesn't always look so crowded. Seriously, it keeps our family going -- as long as we remember to look at it. ;)

    ReplyDelete