Monday, June 22, 2009

Owning It

(Check out the blog from today before this one HERE for Alex's er story, and my letter to my husband for Father's Day HERE.)


Even the most amazing church has things they need to work on. We are all still human, so we're all still prone to making mistakes and having areas of weakness. The church being a body made up of all humans, would then naturally be that way too. So why is it that it's so hard for most churches to admit that they have places that need work? I truly believe that when churches ignore their problems, it only makes the unchurched's argument that we're all hypocrites stronger. It makes us seem unauthentic and not genuine. If we would only be willing to admit to ourselves and to the world that we're doing the best we can, but we don't that we don't have it exactly right ... we might see more people that would be willing to talk to us.

That being said, I am once again impressed with the church we attend. There's a problem at our church ... we're just not growing. It's not that we're not genuine in our faith and our beliefs because we are. It's not that we don't have a passion for lost souls; we do -- we support and attend missions throughout the world. The problem is that we are so focused on taking care of each other, loving on each other, and meeting the needs of those we already have, that we don't pay as much attention as we should to those that aren't a part of our congregation.

Most churches would spend their time patting themselves on the back for taking such good care of their own. And we are proud of that. Most churches would pretend that this isn't a problem. But it is. And if this problem was addressed in most churches, it would be by the elders and ministers sitting down and forming a plan to correct it. Which we are doing -- sort of.

Sunday mornings our preacher is spending his time preaching about church growth and how it relates to us directly. He's being real, and honest, and not sugar-coating things. Sometimes, that hurts. But that doesn't mean that it's not necessary. Afterwards, on Sunday nights we've been having "round table discussions". As a church, we're identifying the problems -- everyone has a voice. We're brainstorming solutions -- again, everyone has a voice. And then people are volunteering to be part of a team that solves that problem using the general consensus of the members.



I'm not sure that I've ever been a part of a congregation that was so real and open. It's refreshing to see them latch ahold of this problem, and own that this is who they are, but that it needs to change. And it's personally inspiring to me.


I want to be a person that when faced with a problem, I own it. I own that I'm not perfect, that I can't be perfect, but that I'm doing the best I can. And then I want to be honest with myself enough that I can brainstorm solutions so that I can create a plan of action and implement it.

Right now, I'm owning that I don't spend enough time in the Bible. I hunger for more time with God, and I'm willing to admit that the only thing that keeps me from that is me. Now, that's not saying that I don't have perfectly good excuses for, but in the end, they're just that -- excuses. So I'm making a plan -- to turn off all sounds and clear the table, and spend 30 minutes reading and praying every evening once the kids are in bed. Instead of switching straight into "get ready for the next day" mode, after they're asleep, I need to set aside time for me to really concentrate and on my relationship with God.


What do you need to own? Do you have a plan for responding to that?

7 comments:

  1. I have a post that's scheduled for later today that so fits in with this lol. So on the same page its not even funny.

    I need to be reading the Bible more too. I go through spurts of doing well w/ that... and more often than not I'm in the same excuse boat. Lately (as mentioned in the post) I've been trying to read Bible stories to the baby... and while not where I prob should be, I'm thinking its a start right? Beyond that, Jas' Bible just got brought home from his moms a month or so ago & I've been meaning to pick it up... is supposed to be a great translation (and one I haven't read). But while I've been thinking and planning on that... I haven't done it yet.

    Another area I slightly touched on but your question brings to mind is prayer. Somewhere along the way I stopped praying regularly. I knew it happened, recognized it, and have been trying to fix it. I'm determined and have been 100% better about nighttime ones. Picking up the rosary again (was a goal of mine at Lent that I bombed on) still hasn't happened. Goes back to excuses. I have lots of them... As for plans... I'm still working on that... and afraid of doubling up on what's about to post so gonna stop here and read the posts I missed earlier!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't it funny how often we have found ourselves on the same page recently? I just have to say that I'm really enjoying getting to know you -- I wish we'd been closer in college!

    I read your post earlier today, but right before heading out the door for VBS. So tomorrow morning when my brain is functioning, I'll post on that. It was a great one, btw.

    What translation is it that you're going to start reading? My family jokes that I'm a Bible collector -- I have over 5 Bibles, 2 of which I constantly use and the others I pull out when I want to read the various commentary on the passage.

    I need to work on my prayer life too. But I find that when I'm truly spending time digging into the Word, that I naturally start to pray more. So that's why I'm going to focus on the reading first....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've noticed that too lol. And I wish we had too... I look back on those days, and I had some really great friends that I had fun w/ but very few of those have lasted.

    I'm in the same boat w/ Bibles lol. I have around 11 plus the 2 Jas brought home. Which is sad if you think about the fact that I about never read them. I pulled one out the other day when talking to Tanna to look something up and felt horrible about how long its been. Most of them are the same translation (NAB) just different editions (married couples, apolagetics, etc.) but I also have a NRSV (not one I like, but its a womens devo Bible and I like some of the inserts), a few Good News ones (one is the old school before they went by GN lol) but two of those are in other languages. The one I want to read is Jas' RSV. Its supposed to be (literarily and translation wise) somewhere between the NAB and the Douay Rhimes (which was translated just before KJV so same language style... I want one but they are expensive now lol). It was highly recommended at the bookstore I worked at for those wanting something purer and at a higher reading level. NAB is great, but at 6th grade. Which has its advantages, but Jas is an English major too. Looking through it now, the footnotes are not as extensive as the NAB, but its not like I have a lack of those around lol.

    The reading leading to praying makes a lot of sense... For some reason I've always been focussed the other way around. I think it goes back to the trying to read it like a regular book cover to cover as a kid lol. That and I had trouble finding my fav stories from a book my dad had... Finally figured it out in college & started enjoying it more... but I just have a hard time sticking with it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel the same about most of my friends from college.

    Most of my Bibles are different translations. I've got the NIV, KJV, NKJV, NLT, Revised American Standard, the Message, and then a couple other NIVs that have different commentary. One of my Bibles, though, is a parallel which is one of the 2 I use the most. It's KJV, NIV, NLT, and Revised American Standard. I love it. I usually carry either it or my Scofield's Reference NIV ... they have the most notes from college in them too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooo parallel ones are nice. We sold one at the bookstore that had Greek, Hebrew and then NAB and KJV I think. Maybe NIV. I know one was a standard Cath translation and the other was Protestant. I would have loved to have it, but way out of my price range lol. I've heard of most of those you mentioned, but not all. I had a KJV NT as a kid (gift) and now Kalila does too (also a gift). I had an NIV at one point for a class at LCU but its long gone... I think. May still be at my moms in Midland.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I got the parallel one as a birthday present while in college.

    I bet I have (somewhere) the same NIV one that you had for LCU. I tried to convince all 4 teachers that I didn't have to have that particular study Bible as I had my own, but they all insisted that I buy the one they required ... and then I still never read the commentary as I already had plenty of that in my other Bibles. I sorta resented being told I had to have that specific information ... esp since none of it was new to me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice...

    I don't know if it'd be the same one or not. I only had to have it my freshman year for Mannon's classes... and only for memory verses. I used my NAB the rest of time in class, I don't think he was happy about it... but he still let me. It made sense to me for us to all need the same one for the memory verses, but at the same time it aggrivated me too. I do not do well w/ those... and instead of helping me learn the Bible more it made me dread picking it up. I might have kept the one we were assigned just to have a copy of that version (even though its no where near my favourite) if it weren't for that. But the rest of my classes I just used my Bible. It never was an issue...

    ReplyDelete