Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Opposites attract?

Kairi and Alex are exact opposites in a lot of regards. Kairi is high-maintenance yet independent. Alex is easy-going but always wants to be with you. I have to trick Kairi into giving me a hug -- Alex gives them out like their candy. Kairi is not a bread fan (unless it's either a club cracker or a cinnamon graham cracker) preferring most meats and pasta over all other choices. Alex does not appreciate meat, rarely likes pasta, but instead craves bread and crackers. Of course they do have things in common, but the majority of things go in this direction. Their opposite opinions on food are so distinct that Chris and I have joked on more than one occasion that we should just make one plate for the two of them, and then they each can eat what they'd like. It'd make for no fighting over food and their plates just might be emptied for a change by the end of the meal.

Recently, I've been more and more surprised by their plates after lunch, though. Typically, we start the meal all eating together. Then after I'm finished with my food, I take my plate to the sink and go get their beds ready for naps. I come back just in time to find both kids getting down from the table with near-empty plates. I've been in shock -- when did they starting eating all their food, or even the same thing?

Today my question was answered.

I was walking out of Kairi's room and into Alex's when suddenly Kairi ran straight into my legs. She was babbling in a very upset tone about her fork, but speaking so quickly that I had no idea what she was talking about. Finally she drug me into the room and pointed to Alex. He had two forks and one plate. And then Kairi finally, slowly, spits out what she was telling me:

"Mommy! Awex and me trade food! But I gib him my fork and he no gib me his! I need a fork!"

I look closer at the plates. When I left the room, all of Alex's chicken and broccoli were gone, but his pasta and corn had been on his plate. Kairi had eaten all of her pasta and corn, but had left her broccoli and chicken. Suddenly, Alex had tons of broccoli and chicken again, and Kairi had just pasta and corn. They had traded plates!

I have a feeling that this has become a regular occurrence. They're trading plates when I leave the room so that they both get what they like to eat.


Now I have to decide whether or not this is worth putting an end to. On one hand, they need to eat what I serve, and if they don't like it then they can not eat -- that's always been my philosophy and I'm not stepping down. But on the other hand -- they're not starving and trying to demand a snack as soon as they get up when they do this.

I know that there's absolutely no way that Chris would allow this to happen at supper. So do I pretend that I still don't notice that they're doing this so that they can get away with it?

Hmmm... Decisions decisions. I have no idea what to do. Input?

6 comments:

  1. LOL... That's a delimma. I'm somewhere in the middle I guess. I would prob leave it, but try and coax them (esp this young) to try some of the other... because at least they are getting enough to eat, and tech they aren't ordering you to cook abc instead of xyz. And there may be a reason each has those leanings...

    Food issues are rough. I'm thankful we have very few w/ Kalila... but she has her moments. Jas is harder... He's flat out picky. Thankfully on his end we will try it once (with the exception of brussel sprouts... I'm sure there's others he wouldn't either though lol) even if he doesn't think he'll like it. Unfortunately its only that once... I almost had to force him to try this new lentil recipe, and it was great (Kalila who doesn't like lentils or beans in general loved it even). Ok so half kidding there cause I won't force anything but seriously I had to make it w/out him knowing and let him know at the last minute... He ate a little and warmed up some chicken on the side :-S

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why am I not surprised at Kairi's antics this time? LOL! I would try to get them to eat at least a couple bites of what they don't usually eat, and then ignore when they switch plates, lol. It is tough though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kris~ In general, I don't believe in coaxing kids to eat. I've always approached it with the perspective that if they're hungry enough, they'll eat what they're served. I'm not going to battle this with them. They eat what they're given or nothing at all.

    If Kairi wants more of something but still has veggies on her plate, I'll allow her to count out x number of bites of that before getting whatever it is she wants, but that's as far as it goes. The same with Alex ... He is given what he needs to eat, and he can eat most of it and get seconds, or he can refuse to eat the other things and not eat.

    Oh, and a lol for you ... both kids of mine actually will tell me what they want me to cook when I'm cooking. Kairi didn't start this until a couple months ago, but Alex now tries b/c his sister tries. If I'm cooking, Kairi will come in and tell me "Mommy, I want pizza/cheese chicken/s'ghetti/tomatoes n rice. Cook it." Usually I laugh and tell her nice try, and then she laughs and walks out of the room. But Alex gets more persistent. He'll sit at my feet chanting bread bread bread bread bread bread bread until I pick him up and carry him to another room. And I totally blame that on Kairi. LOL



    Joyce, Yeah, I've decided to ignore it. I'll leave the table a little later to make sure that they have a few bites of everything on their plate, but I'm not going to fight it. It's a battle for another day in this house...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just realized how harsh that first paragraph sounds, and I'd like to amend that I don't let them starve. They get snacks b/w meals of course. And I will offer their plate several times over before I take it completely away, but I just don't believe in catering to them at all. And since both are really picky, I have to work hard on that.

    I'm glad that Jas at least tried teh lentils! I still haven't done mine. I need to look at the recipe again and see what I have available in the house for it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL I didn't think it was harsh at all. I think I worded mine a little unclear... Side effect of being on this thing partly...

    Anyways, I agree with not catering to them to a point. I'm making one set of things, you don't want it... ok then. But past experience has taught me that even as a kid sometimes they know what they need... and expecting a clear plate (which don't get me wrong, not reading that into what you said) is not a good thing... and sometimes that includes eating certain kinds of food. It works for some people, but others it can cause real problems. I was lucky, at my mom's (where I spend 90 % of my time) I wasn't... but at the other house I was forced into that and had no clue why I was just shy of being in a coma the whole time I was there. There were moments it happened at my mom's too, but I was allowed to eat in a way that made it much fewer. I'm still learning what I can and can't eat... (not talking allergy foods of course, I learned those early and you know how that goes lol) if one of my kids avoids a certain food type like that, personally I would wonder... and while I would continue to offer/encourage the food... I'd let them eat more of the other choices if they want. That's what I meant by being in the middle on the subject.

    Just my opinion on it... But food issues are rough... I've seen worse examples than what happened to me going both ways. Like I said, I don't want to be a short order cook. And I want my kids to try new things... Its just finding the balance... and that's something I am still working on. And Kalila's just getting to the age where I'm really gonna get to work on it lol. Ask me my opinion again in a year... see if its changed lol.

    That is funny about yours trying to give you orders. Jas and I were (and this just after I said I don't wnat to be a short order cook lol) talking about this yesterday and he mentioned that in the future (when we have more kids and older) having Saturdays be open to that... Let them pick and choose what kinds of eggs, etc. On one hand I can see this being a MESS... but it could be fun too... as long as its not an everyday thing lol.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My turn to over think something I've said lol. In no way mean that I think you'd miss something as big as my parents did (and all three did.. mom may have let me eat correctly, but it still got pretty bad in HS and she had no clue anything was wrong). Is an extreme example because they should have known something was up.

    ReplyDelete