Friday, April 24, 2009

A few things

He did eventually sleep.

And now we hope that tonight is not a repeat of last night. Otherwise, tomorrow I'll be the walking dead instead of a character out of The Historian (Elizabeth Kostova). Which I finished today by the way. After having worked on it for a month. I read the last 60+ chapters in the last 4 days. It was good. Not great. But interesting. Here, this is my basic review:

~Hard to follow and engage in the story at first
~Narrator constantly shifting -- could have been done better, but could have been worse I suppose
~Appeals to a true bibliophile and historian
~Story could have been developed better in several spots. I don't like how she excuses herself from doing so in the intro. (Read it and you'll find out what I'm talking about.)
~Waaaaaaaaaaay too many coincidences
~Wraps up suddenly and way too easily

Overall, though, a good story that definitely keeps you thinking about it and wanting more. I really enjoyed it while reading. But be prepared for having to really concentrate. And being disappointed in an easy/quick out for the book. (Seriously, if your book is going to be that long, you might as well finish it up well.) It does have me wanting to read Bram Stoker's Dracula, though.



Oh yeah, and I have an appointment with a rheumatologist May 20 - that was the absolute soonest appointment they had available. Yikes.

4 comments:

  1. That was the soonest? :( Did you ask to be put on the cancellation list also? That way if someone cancels they can call you to put you in the other persons spot. I have been working on rereading the Harry Potter series for lack of anything better to read at the moment, lol. Its been a while since I've read it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry they couldn't get you in earlier! That really stinks.

    I just got a new Nora Roberts book... Enjoying the reading w/out having to think sense that I get w/ that kind of book lol. Esp after my last read which was great... but still. I really want to get the newest Jasper Fforde book (were you in the class that we had to read him? I can't remember) but so far its still way too expensive. I'm waiting anxiously for the price to drop... and for a few other series books to come out. I have an addiction lol. In my defense these last two are the first books I've gotten in months.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yup, absolute soonest.

    So right now I'm finishing up the library books that I should have finished a long time ago so that I can turn them in. Then I'll probably reread Possession by A.S. Byatt (Kris, where you in Dr B's class w/ me when we read that?). And THEN I'll get Dracula.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't you hate that? It's such a pain to get Jaycie in. I need to start reading again. I need an outlet. LOL

    ReplyDelete