Thursday, April 30, 2009

Cleaning Out

I am a packrat. I keep things that I just can't bring myself to get rid of. I keep things that people gave me so that I don't feel badly about getting rid of them or to remind me of them. I keep things that I know belong to something and think that one day I'll find what it goes with. I can't bring myself to get rid of toys that the kids have, no matter how little they play with them anymore. I live a life of clutter. And I'm disliking it more and more every day. It keeps my house from being clean. It keeps me in a constant state of "pick it up". And I just can't keep going like this.

Saturday, May 23, my church is hosting a yard sale for the Guyana mission field. Every penny we earn will go there. I love the work they do there, and want to donate my time and belongings.

So today I begin cleaning things out. I'm cleaning out the kids toys. The closets. The garage. On top of the fridge. Etc. My plan is to half all of it. Well, except the kids' closets. Their clothes can stay. But mine can't. Neither can Chris'. He will have to help and sort through his things. If I gave away half of everything we own, there would be so much less time spent cleaning and so much more just enjoying being here! I read once that we only use 20% of the things we own. Well, I'm not giving away 80% of my belongings ... but 50% (or close to it) isn't a bad start. I know that this process will take a while ... but I have almost a month! And that's not bad. :)

8 comments:

  1. It's hard to let go of stuff - especially our kids stuff! But just do the best you can. Knowing it's all going to an important cause should help you empty out your house a little! GOOD LUCK :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck girl! Get it done. If you haven't used it or looked at it in 6 months, it's time for it to go! I know you can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck! I have a hard time w/ that too... I remember in college finding a colouring book from kindergarten lol.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the encouragement girls!

    LOL -- Kris! I too have found coloring books from when I was younger. haha ... And lots of other random things. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. BTW, since I know you are OCD.......your title is missing a letter ;D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Joyce! I can't believe I did that..... Ack!

    ReplyDelete
  7. lol, I'm a huge packrat too. In fact, I'm having a yard sale this weekend. I also have a hard time getting rid of any of the kids' toys even if they never play with it. It's a sickness. lol. I do plan on giving another round of toys to the nursery at church. Jaycie can enjoy playing with her old toys there. Good luck with getting rid of everything!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey sweetie... hope things are going well on the clean up :-)

    ReplyDelete