Friday, July 31, 2009

Irrational Fears

For the most part, I consider myself a laid back mom. What will happen will happen and all I can do is trust God to take care of her. When Kairi was first born we were able to battle through nearly loosing her to starvation and multiple overheating cars in 105 degree weather. I even spent multiple hours in a strangers vehicle with the baby and my cat on the side of a highway. It was scary stuff. And now the rest doesn't seem so big and important.

Now, don't get me wrong, I still baby proofed. I watch food contents. I had my kids rear facing as long as I could (ie until Chris made me turn them around). I still watch them like a hawk when we're in unfamiliar territory. I take care of my kids. But I don't obsess over it. They can play in rooms by themselves, I just accept the fact that it's going to mean extra cleaning. If I have to leave for a second to grab a towel while they're bathing, I don't panic. They can play in the backyard w/ me inside (but always right next to the open door), as long as I can hear them and have checked the yard first for snakes and/or random objects the neighbors through over the fence during their last party.



I'm comfortable with all the things I listed above ... or else I wouldn't list them obviously. I completely and totally trust that God to take my children through the bumps, scratches, and occasional er visits. I know that my kids are going to be ok, and that they have to learn independent play. And I know that these things don't make me a bad mother. So I trust God, and for the most part just let it be.

But I have the absolute most irrational fear ever. Giving Alex peanut butter.

Kairi has an intolerance to peanuts. At least, she did. The first 2 times she touched a peanut shell she had hives come up where she had touched them to her face. That was 2 years ago. We have spent the last 2 years avoiding contact with peanuts. At her 2 year well-visit we discussed it with Dr Weiss. He agreed that if it was an allergy it was a mild one, but he wanted us to slowly (VERY slowly) introduce peanuts to her environment and eventually to her so that we would know the extent of her intolerance/allergy ... but to always do it when I could get her to an er quickly, just in case.

She tolerated all the introductions to peanuts well. I was allowing peanut products to stay in the house (and I even ate a few) while only requiring that Chris be sure he not give her anything without reading the label. Then when I was so sick 2 weeks ago, I suddenly found her shoving one of my cereal bars into her mouth that she had sneaked out of the pantry. Yes, they were "Almond" bars, but they have ground peanuts in them. I was in a panic. At which point Chris goes "Oh, I didn't know they had peanuts in them. I thought that it was only almond. I gave her one yesterday." First, I threw a fit because he didn't read the label. But then it hit me, she didn't react to it. She ate a peanut product and was ok. Now, I'm not giving her peanut butter yet. But slowly we're going to continue introducing her to peanut products ... not quite as slowly as before. And she's going to be ok. So it's official, it was an intolerance, not an allergy.

Then recently the recommended age for introducing peanut products changed. It was stated that most current research indicates that waiting longer periods of time to introduce peanuts and other likely allergens was NOT improving the child allergy stats so therefore they are not preventing allergies. And researchers in Britain have begun to develop therapies for children with severe allergies to peanuts which they're hoping to extend to other common food allergens where they slowly introduce children with extreme allergies to the they're allergic to until their bodies are capable of tolerating the allergen.

And finally, Alex has been exposed to, touched, and even ingested food with peanut products. He hasn't shown a single hint of an allergy or intolerance to peanuts.




So after all that's been said, will some one PLEASE tell me why in the world every time I think that I might make him a peanut butter sandwich to try I start to feel an overwhelming panic? I feel like my whole chest suddenly seizes up and I'm no longer able to think rationally. I can in no way make myself give him a peanut butter sandwich. I know that the chances of him having a reaction to them are less than 1%. I know that even if he does have a reaction I can call 911 and the ambulance will be here in less than 10 minutes (it took 4 when I had to call one for Chris).

I have NEVER experienced this kind of panic before. I didn't even panic this badly when Kairi was eating the cereal bar. Usually my panic happens AFTER an event. And it makes no sense. His doctor has even started encouraging me to let him have some peanut butter. But I can't get over this fear. Maybe I need Chris to make the sandwich for me and feed it to him when I'm not home..... But then I'll be in hysterics while I'm not home.




Ok, so that's my irrational parenting fear -- feeding my son that I already know isn't allergic to peanuts, peanut butter. What's yours? Please tell me that you have one and that I'm not alone in this stupid cycle......

7 comments:

  1. You are definately not alone.. Remember my post not so far back?

    If you don't & for those who didn't read it... The two big ones for me are deep water (a fear of my own that I'm projecting) and SIDS. I still check her some nights to see if she's breathing. Slowly I'm getting better about it, but... If the thought comes in my head I can't force myself to lay there and not see her little heavy chest. There are a few other little ones here or there I'm sure but those are the ones that freeze me in my tracks like your peanut butter one.

    Btw.. some of the things you mentioned (all that are applicable here) that you do let them do are the same here. Kalila can play by herself... and I don't worry about getting her a towel or even answering the phone when its a whole few steps across the apt lol. She's in a wanting to jump in the tub stage so she gets warned greatly every time I need too lol. Another thing I've noticed I'm more lax on than some other parents (including my own who freak out over this) is that I don't cut up her food into baby pieces anymore. She hates it and will refuse food. Besides, she showed us early on that she knows what those teeth are for lol. She's always been good at chewing her food, and started grabbing for things before I'd have em ready for her. Scared me at first, but... The yard thing I agree w/ you, but we have none... I can't wait until we do (see my next post when it comes up because that is on there lol).

    Btw... Good luck with the PB thing. Maybe let Chris know that it needs to be done when you're gone, but not when. Although that might be worse than knowing lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do remember your post. And I was thinking of it the whole time I wrote this post today. ;)

    I don't cut up food very small either. I mean, I still cut up some things, just not into tiny bits and only those things that I think may be hard for them to chew. I always figure that if they choke I can dig it out of their mouths or I do know the baby heimlich and can take care of it for them.

    I think that the next time there's a peanut butter sandwich at church I'll let him have one ... that way I didn't have to make it. And the hospital is only 10 minutes away too....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad I'm not the only one lol. My stepmom freaked over my dad not cutting up a noodle when Kalila was about 13 months old. I nearly cracked up laughing... Its not like it was a long one either, it was the short hollow ones, ziti I think.

    But she has popcorn (stole it) and hotdogs and everytime I see them on the nono list part of me feels bad, but I know she's ok. And like you said, I'm here and can get it out.

    That's prob a good idea w/ the pb sandwich. Kalila accidently got exposed to those before I meant too, because of Chick Filet.. I forgot they use the oil.. Thankfully no reaction... I was a little nervous about the sandwich when I finally did it and made sure Jas was here w/ the truck lol. But not freaked... but I don't have a past experience to deal with. I can imagine how hard that would be. I have to figure out how/when to reintroduce cucumbers to Kalila and not excited about that at all. We live 5 min from hospital if that was the worry, but her reaction isn't the typical one.. its the same as Jas'- vomitting and diarrhea for days afterwards. I shudder just thinking about it lol.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL ... I don't think I've cut up Alex's noodles (esp not ziti) since he was 11 mo old. I mean, I do cut up spaghetti, but that's for the mess factor ... not for choking. haha ....

    And same for the popcorn and hotdogs. The kids eat them all the time. Although, I do cut the hotdogs in half from time to time. But that's usually to cool them down a little more quickly.

    GL when you do re-introduce cucumbers to her! I'm sure it makes you nervous!

    Have you read anything about the British researchers that I mentioned before?
    Here's a short summary of it: http://www.reuters.com/article/healthNews/idUSTRE51J2KE20090220
    My mom and I read a really detailed article saying that this looked promising a year ago, but not they're actually calling it a true therapy and are offering it to more children. It's really neat to see. Sorta goes back to the idea that completely eliminating things with harsh chemicals and creating totally "clean" environments isn't as good for us as originally though as it kills good bacteria w/ the bad. Eliminating contact with these foods just makes the allergy worse.... Interesting to read and think about at least. And it sorta fits into how my brother was worked out of his dairy allergy/intolerance as well as several other food allergies he had, as well as how we've got Kairi now eating foods that bothered her before. But I will say that it's usually someone else that introduces her to the new food and then I have an "oh crap!" moment before I realize that she is ok now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks! I'll have to check that out. I have heard of something similar done w/ homeopathy for adults, so it makes sense to me.

    Btw, I cut spagetti in half too, before cooking. Fits in pan better and definately cuts down on mess lol.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have an irrational fear of Lincoln drowning. It came after an incident at a friend's pool where he suddenly JUMPED onto me while I was treading water in the deep end. I managed to keep his head above water, but I went under, and barely was able to call out for help. Ever since I have had a terrible fear of him & water. Sadly, it also means that I avoid situations where he actually has to be submerged in water, and therefore, he can't swim. It is like a self-fulfilling prophecy, my fear translated into him not knowing how to tackle that issue. Not sure if this applies to your situation, but there ya go :)

    I decided that Mike has to take him swimming or to a swim class, for his own safety, and for my peace of mind. Maybe Chris can continue to sneak Alex nuts, LOL.

    ReplyDelete