Thursday, February 12, 2009

I just can't do it....

I have tried so many times to write a funny post about the incident this evening at our Kids' Night at a local restaurant. But I can't.




I don't care if your child is 8-9 years, when they're standing in line for a face painting, you should probably at least keep your eyes on them. You definitely shouldn't be standing at the back of the store, chatting on the phone with your back to your child, when you're in store full of strangers. And when your child bullies my TWO YEAR OLD because my TWO year old doesn't understand how to stand in line yet, then don't get pissed off at me when I reprimand her.

My daughter had waited through 14 other kids from the time we walked into the store until the time when she finally got to sit down. That takes a LOT of patience from a two year old. She did her best. We waited directly in line behind 7 little girls. She watched princesses and puppies and monsters, and even an octopus, emerge from the magical face painting chair. She was dancing in anticipation and begging to go next. So when she stepped out of line a few times to see the next face being painted, your child had NO right to push her to the back of the line. And when your daughter does that, I will immediately put my daughter back in her place. Besides, I was really proud of how well Kairi did do -- she wasn't running circles through the place, there was no crying or fits thrown, she didn't even push anyone out of her way. She was just jumpy and a little whiney. Not too shabby for a 2 1/2 year old drama queen.

I don't care what she told you. She was lying. I didn't steal your daughter's spot. I kept her from stealing my own child's spot. There were other parents around -- you know, parents that actually watch their kids -- and they backed me up. There was no way that my daughter would have understood why this person who hadn't been waiting near as long as she had suddenly got to go first. There would have been a meltdown the size of Texas in that store. People would have been hurt. Your daughter would have been one of those people, I can almost guarantee.

So hang up your cell phone. Stand up and walk out of your corner on the far side of the store. WATCH YOUR CHILD WHEN SHE'S STANDING IN LINE. Really, for all you know, someone could have run off with her and you would have never known.


And more than all of that, don't try to bully me for keeping your child from bullying my daughter.

3 comments:

  1. Oh wow! I would have been upset and reprimanded that girl also!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no! Poor Kairi... I would have been ticked too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would have been pissed. I hate that and would have been extremely tempted to go off on that woman. But yay for Kairi being so patient!!

    ReplyDelete