Monday, August 3, 2009

Being Crafty

Sometimes being a mommy means being crafty. Not crafty as in making cute little things crafty ... because as hard as I try I'm usually not that great at that part. I mean being crafty as in being sneaky and a tiny bit manipulative. That I'm good at. :)


Kairi's turned potty training into a power struggle. She doesn't go because she doesn't want to and I can't make her. It's all about control with her and this is something that she's in control of. I have come to realize that I was feeding into it and Saturday I decided that I'm done. I'm done with the fights. I'm done with the begging and pleading and encouraging and bribing. I'm just done.

Alex on the other hand is extremely excited about potty training. He tells me when he has a wet/dirty diaper. He asks to sit on the potty constantly. And he loves the attention that comes with the potty. :)

So I've changed my focus. A friend suggested this and while at first I thought it wouldn't work, I'm now officially convinced. I'm potty training Alex. I'm ignoring Kairi unless she asks to go potty. She's in diapers. He'll be in underwear as soon as I can buy some. He's the big boy. He's the only one I'm pouring attention onto. He's the one that I'm spending extra time with on the potty. And surprisingly enough, Kairi is really encouraging him when he's on the potty too. She tells him that tee tee comes out and that you wipe and flush after it. When he goes in his diaper and tells me, she stands over him while I take his diaper off and talks about how germs go in the potty, not in diapers. We started this morning.

Twice this afternoon Kairi has removed her dry diaper to sit on the potty! Of course when she does I make a huge production of it and jump up and down and cheer. :) But as soon as it's over, I go back to focusing on Alex going in the potty. I have a feeling that this is really going to work. :D And as soon as Alex actually goes in the potty (still haven't caught it), I bet that it clicks and he'll be doing great.



Sometimes when you're a mommy, it takes being crafty to get things done. And I, for one, am NOT afraid to do so. :)

2 comments:

  1. Awesome! I hope it continues to work girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It must be so much easier having two of them at the same time to reinforce one another! I just started working with SidMo on the potty & so far she's just not digging it! I wish I had someone there (other than me) to prove to her that going on the potty is rewarding!

    ReplyDelete